Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The first day

Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; Let such as love Your salvation say continually, "The LORD be magnified!" Psalm 40:16 NKJV


Come see the progress page!! :)


The rain stopped at about 5pm. I headed out at  5:30pm in an upper class neighborhood where some friends of ours live. My parents were at their house for a Bible study that started at 7pm. My mom followed behind in the van to keep an eye on me until the Bible study started. I knocked on about 50 doors. About 20 weren't home. 6 people gave donations. 5 books went out (3 cookbooks, 1 Peace above the storm - peace, 1 God's Answers - GA). I prayed at at least 3 homes.


Dean, an 85 yr old gentleman, told me about the tumor on his spine. They are doing tests to see how serious it is. A relative of his died of brain tumors. We prayed about it before I left. He got a cookbook for his wife, a very sweet lady who was just leaving for a singing rehearsal when I came.


Becca and Greg were very welcoming and encouraging. Becca picked out the Kids cookbook and a Peace. They wished me God's blessings on my project and let me pray with them. 


Kari bought a GA and asked me to pray for her health. I had noticed her teenage son take care of the very welcoming dog when I knocked on the door and then return to practicing the piano. (side note: while I was praying with her out side I could hear him playing a Christmas carol. ;) For those of you who know me you know what that means) In my canvass for the GA I was impressed to mention that this book was great for young people who have questions because, instead of just accepting someones opinion or a churches teaching,  it takes them back to their Bibles to find the answers to life. I don't know whether she bought the book for her son or herself, but I pray it makes a difference in both their lives. When I finished pray she gave me a big hug and quickly said goodbye, but I could see tears in her eyes. There is nothing that makes me feel more alive than delivery hugs for God!


The first person I talked to after starting out last night happened to be an Adventist gentleman who works at Union College just arriving home when I came to the house. He could tell I was Adventist when I showed him the books. He asked if I could come back at 7pm when his wife would be home so she could look. the humorous part was that I had to go back 3 times. I didn't make it back right at 7pm so the first time they weren't there. I came back again when I'd finished the street and he was vacuuming right by the front door, but for all my knocking and doorbell ringing I couldn't get his attention. So I did one more house who had asked if I could come back. And then returned to Lonnie's house. He was still vacuuming but this time he heard the doorbell. He invited me in and took me downstairs to where his wife was exercising on the treadmill. I showed her the books and told her what I was doing while she finished. They got the cookbook.


Everyone who got books gave extra donations. In addition to the books I have the small book Happiness for Life (which is Steps to Christ). I gave/sold 5 of those last night as well.


I did lose one sale, but I suppose you could say it was to a good end. A lady was going to get a cookbook and asked who she should make the check out to. I hadn't thought about that detail. The only option I had at that moment was for her to write it to me. Understandably she didn't like that idea. I'm so used to being in a program and having people write their checks to HHES or YES so it hadn't even crossed my mind. She told me to come back when I had it figured out. So I called my mom and we worked out arrangements for people who wanted to write checks. I did go back to the lady's house, but by that time her husband was home and "he doesn't want to do any donations." But someone had to make me think of it so... :) Lesson learned.


Today has been filled with tying up loose ends and preparing my fundraising letter. I may try to go out for a few hours though in our little town just down the road. If I do I'll post an update tomorrow. I've had a headache today. But I'm not going to let that stop me. What an easy way to try to make me stay home. Stay tuned... :)


Thank you again to all the prayer warriors! I've added a few requests to the list at the top left of the page. Your support is much appreciated!


Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Amen, what a exciting experience you had! Thankyou for sharing, Jenae!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Katherina: I'm glad you were blessed. I hope you can experience canvassing someday soon. Then you will have your own exciting stories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do Christmas carols mean, and why don't I know this?;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Aubrey I think you must know. It's just the fact that I love Christmas music and of course you don't get to hear it 10 out of the 12 months of the year. Especially when certain people think it's a crime to listen to it before Halloween and after January 1. :) So it was just special to me that I got to hear Christmas music. It gave me a boost. :)

    ReplyDelete