Thursday, July 21
I completed the video editing job for my dad that day. So By the time I got ready to go out I only had 30 to work until the sun would be gone. I decided to go anyway. I prayed for God to show me where to work. I didn't get to talk to very many people, several houses there was no answer, but at one house the lady opened the door and invited me in. Her little two year old girl watched me as she played. The mother asked where I was going to school and I told her a little bit about my future goals and where what I was working for for this semester. She looked through the books and chose both cookbooks and Peace. She paid almost the the full bookstore price as well. I thanked and asked if I could pray before I left. She accepted. Her mother and brother are in CA working at a summer camp for children with AIDS. | That was my only sale of the evening besides a Happy D. But I was glad I'd gone out even for thirty minutes.
Totals: 3 books, 1 Happy D
Friday, July 22
I was going to my aunts house to practice a special music in the evening. So I went in early and canvassed her street. I sold a cookbook to a lady who recognized the GC when I handed it to her. She said she'd had to read it in College. I asked where she went to school thinking she wold say Union, the Adventist college in town. But no, she answered the University of Nebraska. I was surprised. | At the next house a young man about 19 years old maybe answered and stepped out side. I introduced myself, told what I was doing, and handed him a book. I got the first sentence of the canvass out and he started talking about something remotely yet distractedly connected to the book. I kept trying to bring it back to the books, but everything I said seemed to trigger some thought and off he'd go again. Then in one of his tales he mentioned he was ADD. I tried to bring things to a close. He told me in detail why he couldn't afford anything. But he mentioned his grandma and grandpa were very religious. His grandma had taught him confirmation. He seemed somewhat interested in the books. He didn't reject them at least. I asked him if I left the GA with him if he would read it. In many words he said yes and/or that his grandma would probably like it. About that time his girlfriend, her baby sister, and her mom arrive home from the grocery store. I gave a quick canvass to them, but they said they couldn't afford anything either. They accepted prayer though. I gave the mom a Happy D and made my escape. :) | It was almost time to head down to my aunt's house to practice, but I decided to try one more house in my remaining 4 minutes. A disheveled middle aged man answered. Before I could get very far he told me he wished he could help but that he had no money. I told him it was all on donation basis and even if he could only help with a small amount that was fine. He started to tell me he didn't have anything, but then stopped and said, "Well let me go see if I have something." He returned with two dollars. I said he could pick out a book and started canvassing him on the GC. When I mentioned Bible prophecy his interest perked. "I'm interested in Bible prophecy!" "Oh then you will live this one," I said. "You mean I can really have this? Oh thank you!" I asked if I could pray with him and if he had any prayer request. He accepted prayer and asked what church I went to. "I go the Piedmont Park Seventh-day Adventist church just down the road. Have you heard of us?" Oh, ok yes. I'm Catholic. But we still have some things in common!" I felt that since he had said he was Catholic I should at least forewarn him about the GC. "Now I just want to let you know this book is from a Protestant perspective, but I've still found it very helpful and fascinating. Like I said it's really helped me understand Bible prophecy." "Oh yes, and I have an open mind," he replied. We prayed and I headed to my aunts house just down the street. When I told her about David the man I'd just met she said, "Oh yeah, he's been down here and we've talk several times. He's seen 3ABN and loves Doug Bachelor and Mark Finley. I think he believes the Sabbath is true, but he is stuck in the "tradition", "it's what I've always done" mindset of Catholics, just like grandpa." I pray as David reads the book his eyes will be opened to the importance of the truths he's heard.
Totals: 3 books, 3 Happy D
Sunday, July 24
I decided to go out for longer since it was Sunday. It was a hot day. The occasional breeze felt wonderful. So I was very happy when Vikki and her teenage daughter invited me in. "I can't promise anything, but step inside." I'd been praying for a nice family to let me use the restroom. They welcomed me and got me a cold bottle of water. I canvassed them on all but the children's books. "So what is the difference between Adventists and other traditional churches," she inquired after I'd shown her who to make the check out to. I explained the 4 C's - We believe in Christ as our Savior, that He died on the Cross as a free gift for our salvation, we believe in keeping all ten Commandments, and believe He is Coming again to take us home. "That's pretty close to the other churches," she observed. So I explained that the main belief that set us apart was our belief in the seventh-day Sabbath. I gave it to her in a nutshell. There was a "seeking" about her. I asked where they went to church. "We don't have a church we go to," she replied. She hadn't picked out her books yet. Setting the cookbook aside from the pile of four books in front of her on the floor she said, "I think I'll pass on the cookbook, but I'd like to get these." The amount she gave me would have covered the cookbook. It was awesome to see where her heart was. I pray the books answer the questions she has. Her daughter stayed close by and was listening the whole time. I prayed with them before leaving. | About an hour before I quit storm clouds rolled in. I knew there was a chance of rain so I just watched the sky and figure if I got stuck in the rain I'd make a new friend at someones house hopefully. I hadn't brought an umbrella. I know. Not to wise, but the rain hasn't ever come yet when the weather man says. :) I was two blocks away from my car when it started lightening every once in a while. But the thunder took awhile to sound. So I knew it was a ways away yet. I called my mom to ask what was coming and from where. I decided to go around the corner and do one more street on my way back to my car. There happened to be only two houses on that street and neither one gave an answer so it didn't take long. I drove to do two more houses so I could cross a whole street off and then proceeded out of town. | On my way I past a house I'd done a week or so before. The husband, a truck driver, said to come back when his wife was there 'cause she had the money. I didn't feel it was too promising and so wasn't planning on doing it. But as I past I felt like I should try. It couldn't hurt anything. I knocked. It took a while for them to answer, but Jessica, the wife, finally did. A sweet quiet girl I told her who I was and that I'd been there before. I canvassed her on three books. When I asked which ones interested her the most she pulled out the GC. "I think this one sounds interesting." She invited me in while she got her checkbook, apologizing for the house. They'd just had their little girls 5th birthday party. She wrote me a check for $20. I gave her the GC and said that amount would cover two books if there was another one she'd liked. "What else do you have?" I don't know why, but I hadn't shown her either of the children's books. Suddenly remembering them I pulled out Bible Heroes. "Oh yes, I'll take this one. Josie will like it." I was glad God prompted me to go back. As I prayed with her it started to rain outside. "Do you want me to walk you to your car with an umbrella?" I decided I'd just make a run for it since my car was just in front of the house and it wasn't coming down too hard yet. The rain felt so good after the hot day. If I hadn't had the books I would have walked to the car! I love being out in the rain. As I left town it began to rain harder. God's perfect timing.
Totals: 9 books, 10 Happy D
An answer to prayer...I have the same number of Peace as I have of GC. One of my fears was that my Peace and GA would go fast again and leave me with only GC. But right now the number of books left is staying pretty even.
I also wanted to thank you for your prayers for my appetite. ;) lol I has returned. A good thing!
Exciting stories!! Thank you for sharing! Praying for you on your last few days! :)
ReplyDeleteThank-you, Jenae! The stories are great and I'm so glad you can share them with us. I'm glad God has been blessing! May He richly poor them upon you as you draw to the close of your canvassing time!
ReplyDeleteThank you, girls!! ;) Love you!
ReplyDelete