This last week was the halfway mark of AFCOE. The silence on my blog is indicative of the amount going on. (As well as the fact that the internet has not been working hardly at all for the passed month.) I continue to be stretched to new limits. But the feeling of looking down from the heights and back across the miles traveled an seeing how far God has brought you and where He is taking you is worth it.
So much has happened. I'll never be able to tell you everything. But the happiest news is that I finally realized my dream of giving a Bible study. I have two and my partner has four or five. One of my studies has four people in it (Linda & Dan and Ginger & Al). They all are loving the lessons and we have built good relationships.
The prophecy seminar starts next Friday night at 7pm. This week we will be doing outreach every afternoon. Passing out flyers and inviting our contacts. Plus homework. They told us this will be the toughest week of AFCOE. Once we make it through this week it will be down hill. I'm barely keeping up, but God is good and He is teaching me a lot about trust and focusing on Him instead of what's going on around me.
Last week we had to days of R&R at Leoni Meadows. They had an optional challenge course. I signed up for the Giant Swing and the Zip Line. The swing was more than I'd anticipate and was definitely an experience of facing fear. I did it and learned a big spiritual lesson.
We have this weekend off. I'm staying home from church to have some alone time. I'm also trying to not get sick. I haven't collapsed yet. The germ has been traveling around campus and has hit both my roommates. So far my preventative measure are being blessed.
Fall came last week and brought the rain. I had been almost craving rain. Funny how you can get tired of constant cloudless skies. It came at just the right time and just the wrong time. The cold was refreshing. But it made me miss home a lot. Christmas carols (no shame) started sneaking into my room and I was dreaming of an evening snuggled between my mom and dad reading a good book in front of the wood stove. When the rain came Wednesday night I was really having a hard time. My best friend came into the dorm all wet from the rain. With one knowing smile at each other we took off for a much needed "rain dance". There's really no dancing involved, just walking with no umbrella. Rain dancing in Nebraska is a rare treat since the rain is usually accompanied by lightening. So I hadn't done it in a long time. We walked a half a mile and just soaked it in, stopping in the dark to just listen.
God sent me a special person at our host church - a sign language interpreter. I sit with Robin almost every week and we sign the songs together. She has encouraged me a lot in my dream of working in Deaf ministry. Last week she gave a religious signs dictionary and a DVD of signed hymns. We are hoping to do a children's story about Helen Keller together while I'm here.
The sun is shining today and I am being beckoned. Thank you to all who have been praying. Keep praying. The real battle is about to begin. Some names you can pray for specifically are:
Linda & Dan and Ginger & Al (very engaged in the lessons and ready every week. busy though. hoping they will make time for the meetings.)
Rosa & Jim (may be loosing his job. Rosa asks us to pray for him each week. she loves the lessons and is read y every week.)
Teresa & sons, Colin and Kaden (going through a divorce)
Donna (showed promise and then has been missing appointments)
Melinda and her boy friend, David (he has major health problems. something like Lou Gehrig's)
Victoria (had one lesson and then started missing the appointments)
Ann (has her lesson done every week and looks forward to the next)
Jennifer & Don
and many more...
No comments:
Post a Comment