Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A new town

Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Eben–ezer, saying, Hitherto hath the Lord helped us. 1 Samuel 7:12


Well it's not an entirely new town. I finished Douglas so I moved down the road to Palmyra. That's where I was on the 4th of July too. It was very humid tonight and I got bit up by mosquitoes. I may take some bug spray next time. :)


I stopped by our neighbors on my way to Palmyra. They have a German Shepherd that didn't look all that happy I was there. So I honked and they came outside and I canvassed them from my car. Mrs. Siefken chose the GA saying that they do a lot of Bible study, but always like to have different books around. I prayed with them and continued to town.


I parked in the high school parking lot and started up the street. As I came up to the business district I noticed the door open to the back of the auto shop on the corner. I could hear voices inside so I walked up. As I entered there were 4 men sitting around talking and a couple of them drinking. I gave them each a book and began canvassing them They listened and looked through the books two of the guys traded books to look at. One got a phone call and had to step away. The last looked through the GA thoroughly the whole time I talked. One gentleman decided on the cookbook for his girlfriend. "I'm not much for religious stuff," he said. "Oh yeah, why is that?" I asked. "Oh I believe in God and everything, but I don't practice it." "He's my best friend and I just love to share him with people," I said sincerely. I told how the Peace Above the Storm was the book that led me to surrender my life to Christ and how much it meant to me. "So what's that book again?" He took the Peace and I explained more about it to him. "Well can I trade the cookbook for it?" he asked hesitating. "Of course, that would be fine." He'd given me $20 for the cookbook so I told him he could have two books for that, but no, he just wanted the Peace. He said he was going to give it to his girlfriend, but I hope God leads him to open it first. "May I pray with you all before I leave?" "Oh no! Then a tsunami will blow in or something!" he said. "Why?" I laughed. "Last time I stepped foot in church a Tsunami hit two days later," he replied. They thanked me and wished me well.


Tonight I was a little more flexible and asked God where to turn at each corner. It was on two of the streets I hadn't planned to do that I got books out. Justin got a cookbook. I always give them a Happy D as well if they only get a health book. Trent was working in the yard and seemed to appreciate the break. He decided he wasn't interested in the books, but he wanted to help out with a donation - $20. So I gave him a GA since I hadn't showed that one to him yet, telling him there was a catalog in the back if he ever wanted to look at their other books. His prayer request was for good results on the lab test he'd just had. 


Rachelle's yard was full of children's toys and bikes. I was disappointed I had no children's book left. But I went up anyway. She declined saying she'd just lost her job. I wrote down my name and number for her so she could call me if she wanted to look at the books later. I asked to pray for a job and any other requests she had. She asked prayer for her daughter who has gotten into trouble. I prayed and she had tears when I finished. I gave her a Happy D telling her how it had changed my life. I suggested she see if her daughter would read it too. "Thank you. I'll call if I can get the books too, ok?" she said as I left.


Another couple looked at the cookbook and talked to me for quite a while. The husband said her thought the cookbook looked nice. I thought for sure they were going to get it when the wife handed everything back and said, "I think I'm gonna pass this time." I asked if they'd like to donate and she readily went in for some cash. I can't remember if I gave them a Happy D or a GA. We prayed and left. But first I bought one of the "cakes" her sweet little 3 year old was drawing on the side walk. I love the kids!


David next door was on his porch and had seen me coming down the road. He got the cookbook at full price for his daughter who is going to culinary school. I gave him GA and a Happy D as well and prayed with him.


When I was in the business I canvassed the bar since it was obviously open. The young bar tender looked interest in the books, but said the boss wouldn't be happy if she got them then. "Can you come back?" I plan on it for sure!


Well another good evening. They're all good really. God doesn't ever give bad days! I only have 3 GA, 2 Peace, and 1 cookbook left. I'm really hoping the books I ordered come before the weekend. :) I guess if they don't I'll canvass with GCs? Hmm... God's got it figured out. I'm going to bed.
Totals: 7 books, 6 Happy D


P.S. I've been in touch with AFCOE this week and gotten a few questions answered and received some hopeful news. One day at a time...


P.S.S. I was just telling my mom about the small Pit Bull that tried to attack me this evening. Thankfully I didn't have my backpack all the way on and was able to put it in front of me. He kept trying to get around it to my legs though. I called out to the people in the backyard where he came from, and he finally ran back to the yard. When I told my mom which house it happened at she said, "That very area and dogs came to my mind this evening and I was impressed to pray for you at around 8 o'clock." That's probably close to the time I was there. Pretty neat. I've never had that happen before. God is amazing!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Jenae!! Keep it up! God is working through you! :) I really enjoyed reading this post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Araya! I can't wait to hear your stories soon. When will you be at YD?
    I hear you met my friend Beth Johns. She was my canvassing leader last year. We've formed a "long distance" team this year since neither of us are in a program. We call and pray together before we go tout in the evenings. It's been so fun!

    ReplyDelete