O LORD, thou art my God; I will exalt thee, I will praise thy name; for thou hast done wonderful things; thy counsels of old are faithfulness and truth. Isaiah 25:1
Where to begin? Again there are too many stories to tell. The more that come the more daunted I am at the task of getting them recorded. But tonight (July 8th) I can wait no longer. I have a top story. However, I'll save it for the end and fill you in first on what's happened through the week.
I did go out on the 4th of July. Since it's a federal holiday many people have the day off and are home relaxing (and blowing away money). So I set out at 1pm in the town of Palmyra just 10 minutes down the road. At first it seemed that many people weren't home. But I made my first sale within 20 minutes to a home school mom. On that subject we found common ground. Initially she was going to pass on the books. "We have so many books and I'm just so busy. I home school my children." That's how I found out. But she kept looking through the book and we talked and shared experiences. Her middle child, a girl about 10, came up and the mom told her what I was doing. "Mom you have to get the books! She's trying to go to school!!" God bless children! She was contemplating the Great Controversy. I mentioned that you could get free study guides on the internet for it so she could use it for Bible class with the children. She perked up at that and went to get the money. We prayed she wished me well and I left. | Two gentlemen just getting ready to leave stopped to listen to me. The driver works as a hair dresser near the Adventist college in Lincoln. He got 7 Secrets and Great Controversy. | Randy's eyes held a million gallons of worry, fear, and pain. He stopped my canvass fairly quickly, but when I asked if he had anything I could pray for he said with despair in his voice, "Peace." "I will pray for you, but I want to do something more than that," I said as I handed him the Peace Above the Storm and told him what it meant to me. He took it gratefully and we prayed. He thanked me again.| I was hot day and long before 4pm I had finished of my warming water. I prayed for a kind person. At the next house a lady and her young son sat on the porch. I greeted them and began to share what I was doing. She stopped me saying she had just lost her job and they had no money. I dropped down to the Happy D and she went to retrieve a dollar. I also asked for a drink of water. She returned with a large glass of cool ice water. Since it was her cup though I obviously couldn't leave till I was finished. Talk time! As I sipped the refreshing liquid she asked about the books. I handed them to her and gave a brief description. "You should go talk to the Phillips! They do missionary stuff all the time. I'm sure they'd support this." I finished my water prayed with them and set off to see if I could find the Phillip's. | After a little searching a found the described green house across from the apartments behind the high school. At the front door I could see all the way through the house to the back yard where Mr. Phillips weeded the garden and Mrs. Phillips sat reading a book oblivious to my knocking and ringing of the doorbell. So I walked around the house to see if I could find them that way. They saw me and Mrs. Phillips said, "Well hello, what can I do for you?" I knelt in front of her chair and explained my mission. She looked at the books, and even though she thought she might already have the small version, bought Peace. When I gave her the receipt she saw Holland Seventh-Day Adventist Church. "Oh, my son-in-law's mother goes to the Adventist church in Lincoln. I recognize the name and plan on looking for her at church tomorrow. Mrs. Phillips congratulated me on my going to Bible college and wished me God's blessing. We prayed and I turned towards home. | That evening we celebrated my grandma's birthday at our house before going to the Douglas fireworks show in honor of Catherine Zech, a long time resident of Douglas who passed away recently. I didn't spot any of my benefactors, but we did have a nice chat with our neighbors, the Dovals. Mrs. Doval said she heard I'd been to her son's house. Come to find out Todd, the single dad with the girl who has heart problems, is their son. Todd's neighbor Rick who bought the Great Controversy for his mom evidently asked Mrs. Doval if she liked to read religious books and gave her the GC he'd bought. It sounded as if she might read it.
Totals: 5 books, 10 Happy D
Wednesday, July 6
Tuesday night I'd planned to go out in Lincoln after a music practice with my dear friend and voice teacher. But I was rained out, or rather stormed out. I decided it wasn't worth ruining my books in the high winds and rain. I did have an encouraging time with my teacher though. | Wednesday night I returned to Douglas. I thought I might be able to finish off the town, but I have at least one evenings worth left. I took a winding route finishing up streets, but God led me. I went back to Janelle's house, the young girl who wanted to buy the cookbook when she got paid. She indeed got the cookbook and gave a little extra so I gave her the God's Answers also, to her great delight. While she was getting her money her little sister, Heather, (who I'd met at Todd's house the week before) came back from being at another friends house. "It's you again," she said with a smile. Then in sudden excitement she exclaimed, "My grandpa's out of the hospital!" We had prayed for him when I was at Todd's. "Wonderful!" I said, "God answered our prayers!" I prayed with Janelle again before leaving and showed her my email address on the receipt. | There's a house just outside the far edge of town on the road we have taken to church for the past 13 years. When we moved here it was a rundown property with and old house a trailer. We watched as it was cleared and transformed by its new owner a few years later. They built a beautiful stone blue house. As I walked up the drive way I could see the husband outside working in the yard. The dog spotted me first and came down to investigate me. I kept my bag handy as I could discern his demeanor. He turned out to be the intimidating "chicken" guard dog. The husband took me in to talk to the wife. Putting the cookbook aside quite quickly exclaiming that she hated cooking she looked at the others. She settled on the Kids cookbook (saying that look a little more doable) and the Peace. I offered a thank you prayer with her before leaving since she said everything was going well.
Thursday, July 7
I spent an hour and a half at the community clinic getting my physical and medical form filled out for AFCOE. That put me a little late getting out to the houses. I had decided to return and finish the upper class neighborhood where I spent my first time out. My parents were going to the Bible study group there again. Starting there at the Bible study while everyone enjoyed the pancake dinner beforehand I showed the group my books and told them what I was doing. They are all friends and were very encouraging. Between them they got 5 books. Then I started out around the block. No one was interested. Two people did give me a couple dollars for the Happy D. Only a couple accepted prayer. At the last house after they rejected the books I just asked if they would want to help out towards the scholarship program. He came back with $5 so I gave him a GA instead of the Happy D. I thanked the Lord for my friends at the Bible study and prayed that he would somehow melt the hard hearts of the rich in that neighborhood who felt need of nothing.
The top story... Friday, July 8th
While canvassing in Douglas on Wednesday I had met a young mother of three children. While I was showing her the books her little 4 year old girl came out looking not too well. The mother, holding the 8 month old baby boy, consoled the little girl. I asked if she was sick. The mother replied, "Well my two oldest children just had surgery today (dental). So I really can't leave them unattended too long. I wish I could get the books, but we just can't afford it. My husband just lost his job, and we barely have enough to get diapers for the baby." I quickly handed her the God's Answers and told her it listed the books in the back. I left her my name and phone number telling her I lived just down the road and when she got the books she could get them from me for the donation prices. She thanked me and we had a quick prayer for her little ones.
After I left I just couldn't stop thinking about the family. Barely enough for diapers. I felt compelled to do more than just give a book and a prayer. For several years I have set aside a small percentage of my income to use for outreach, ministries, and needs I find. I have been reminded of God's promise in Proverbs 11:24, 25. It has come true in my life more than once. So the next night when I was in town I bought a few groceries and diapers to take to them. Friday morning I loaded the groceries and drove to their house. The front door inside the screened in porch was open but no one stirred at my knocking. So I took it all back home and went again in the afternoon -same thing. I went again at 6 o'clock in the evening and finally there was a different car in the driveway. The front door was now closed. When I knocked an older lady answered the door. I told her who I was and what I'd come for. With a puzzled expression she told me that Jennifer didn't love there. It was her granddaughter and she was just visiting. A little disappointed I asked if she would be seeing her soon. She said she be going there the next day and could take the groceries. As I was walking away to get the rest of the things from my car Joan called after me, "Thank you so much, and may the blessing you are giving return to you!" I smiled and said, "It has." I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. Acts 20:35
As I loaded the last few bags onto my arms I felt impressed to take a set of the books in with me. When I returned to the house Joan took the perishables into the kitchen. I carried one bag into the kitchen for her. As I entered she was pulling $20 from her purse. Handing it to me she said, "Here I want to help." "Oh my, well here, pick out one of the books." "Oh no, I'm a believer I just want to help you with what you're doing." I hadn't really even told her about the books. So I said, "Your granddaughter was interested in the books. Why don't you pick on out for her?" I canvassed her on all the books, brushing by the cookbook. :) When I got to the Great Controversy explaining that it cover Bible prophecy and current events she said solemnly, "Oh I wonder about all that is going on." As she debated between the books she decided on the Peace for Jennifer. However I seen her interest in the GC. So I explained my goal of 129 books and how people were pledging to help for every book I sold. "So I you would like you can get both the Peace for Jennifer and the Great Controversy for you." "Oh I'd love to read it, yes!" I was thrilled! I asked if I cold pray. She took my hands in hers and we bowed together. When I finished she prayed for me. I love it when people join me in prayer. It blesses me! I wrote down my phone and told her lived right outside Douglas. I told her about the Bible school and what I would be learning. "So when I get back if you hear of anyone or know of anyone who would be interested in doing Bible studies let me know." She thanked me again for coming and told me how wonderful it was to meet me. I left in awe and with a light heart.
About an hour later I saw her van pull up at our house. What could be wrong? I met her at the back door. "I got curious what was in those bags and I found this," she said handing me our mail. :) I'd picked it up on my second trip back home from trying to deliver the food and had stuck it in one of the bags so I could carry everything at once. "Oh my, I told myself I'd forget that! Thank you so much!!" She just laughed and smiling said, "Well you'd told me where you lived so I figured I bring it over. You'd have missed it eventually." I thanked her and she drove away. Such a sweet lady! I hope I get to visit with her again someday. That was definitely a Divine appointment!
Tonight, Tuesday, July 12
Lest you think I am some great hero of courage and faith let me set the record straight. I spent the better part of my first hour out tonight sitting in my car letting the tears that have been threatening the past two days flow. God sent a friend to call me at just the right moment and we had a good talk. My courage was strengthened and His love, understanding, and patience were painted anew before my eyes. The last few days have been a struggle. Many nights I have to force myself to go out and canvass. Don't get me wrong I am always rewarded when I return and I do enjoy it. But there are rarely feelings of excitement and anticipation as I venture out. In the last week deadlines have loomed, problems and perplexities have multiplied, and duties have pressed. I have felt very faithless and void of strength to continue. It is hard for me to say I felt let down because I know God's promises too well. But as I told my friend, my tear ducts didn't believe them. Yet as is so often the case God speaks up through these times. Though it sounds as if His voice comes from across a great chasm instead of close by my side, it is clear. It has been coming over and over, whether through someone's blog post, facebook comment, words at church, a sermon from AudioVerse, my Bible reading for that day, or a letter from a friend. He has been speaking very straight to my need, reminding me that He has it under control, and He will come through. I'd sure love it if He didn't wait till the very last minute, but that seems to be His habit, and that way I can't take any credit.
So with that background I went out this evening after drying my eyes. I had 81 books left to go to my goal and about 10 working days remaining before packing for AFCOE. If I could just sell 8 books a day I could make it. Guess how many books I sold tonight? 8 books...
Eddie got a cookbook but gave me $20. He said he always helped the Girl Scouts out too even though he just gave the cookies away as gifts. So I told him about my goal and asked if he would pick another book out to give as a gift to someone. He hadn't wanted to message books...said he didn't get into that much. "Oh I believe in God and all, but I don't believe you have to go to church and I don't read religious stuff." But he did take a Peace and I'd already given him a Happy D. | I recognized Judy as a lady I see working at our Wal-Mart all the time. When she looked at the books she said, "I think I've already ordered some books from here. Yes, Pacific Press. I have some books coming from them already. I would help you out with a donation, but I don't have any money. Maybe I can give you $10 when I see you at Wal-Mart." She said she doesn't go to any church, but she also doesn't work on Friday nights or Saturdays. She must have some connection to Adventists. She loaned me a DVD about the discovery of historical Biblical sites. We prayed together before I left. | Sue opened the door and invited me in. A neighbor girl, Jordan, in her teens was visiting and had answered the door first. I showed them the books, handing the GA to the girl. Sue said Jordan had had questions like those. "Would you read it?" she asked her. Sue finally had all the books in her hand and were talking about how she'd lost her mother 6 months before, her friend's house had just burnt down on the 4th of July losing everything, and another friend had just had twins 4 months preemie and one didn't make it. Turning back to the books she said, "I don't think I'll get the cookbook, but I want the rest." Great Controversy, Peace, and God's Answers. "I will read that one," Jordan said pointing to the GA. Sue mentioned that there used to be a Bible study there in town and she missed it. "Do you think people would come if we did one again? I've wanted to have a Bible study," I said. A possibility when I return from AFCOE. We bowed in prayer before I left. I prayed for Sue, her friends, and Jordan and thanked God for their helping me. When I finished Sue had tears in her eyes. I hugged her and she thanked me. | I was about to turn up the last street I had to do in town when I felt compelled to continue out of town and do the few houses I knew were just outside of town. As I pulled into the first drive way two cars pulled in behind me. Nervous that I might have startled someone and made them up set I smiled and waved the canvasser wave. I picked up my books and stepped out of the car. "Did I beat you home?" I joked. "Yeah, we were just going past to our son's house when we saw you pull in. What are ya doing?" they said casually putting me at ease. The husband got out to unload something from the other car that had pulled in. The wife looked through the books as the elderly lady in the back seat asked if I lived around there. "Did you come by selling bread a few years ago?" "Yes I did," I replied. "I remember you. I thought you were going to come back. But I must not have been home or something." We talked about where I lived and about the dear they'd had carved from their tree just after we moved here. They decided on a cookbook for each of them. I thanked them and gave them a Happy D as well. | I got to see where Linda, the lady who runs the small gas station in Palmyra, lives. Her daughter, Bonnie, got the GA from me a couple weeks ago. Linda picked out the Peace. We prayed for her Uncle, Ralph, who is dying with cancer.
I have four comebacks waiting at the moment. I have to order more books first. I'm out of what they want. So far my comebacks have proved successful. This list could fill up half a night at least. There are a couple more houses I want to try in Douglas too. But other than that I've completed my first entire town.
I can't thank you enough for your prayers! And thank you to all those who have pledged towards the book goal.
I will be booking a plane ticket soon. Southwest will save me on my baggage. And since we were planning a trip to CO to see my brothers I can fly out of Denver which is $100 less then Omaha right now. Praise the Lord!
The top story... Friday, July 8th
While canvassing in Douglas on Wednesday I had met a young mother of three children. While I was showing her the books her little 4 year old girl came out looking not too well. The mother, holding the 8 month old baby boy, consoled the little girl. I asked if she was sick. The mother replied, "Well my two oldest children just had surgery today (dental). So I really can't leave them unattended too long. I wish I could get the books, but we just can't afford it. My husband just lost his job, and we barely have enough to get diapers for the baby." I quickly handed her the God's Answers and told her it listed the books in the back. I left her my name and phone number telling her I lived just down the road and when she got the books she could get them from me for the donation prices. She thanked me and we had a quick prayer for her little ones.
After I left I just couldn't stop thinking about the family. Barely enough for diapers. I felt compelled to do more than just give a book and a prayer. For several years I have set aside a small percentage of my income to use for outreach, ministries, and needs I find. I have been reminded of God's promise in Proverbs 11:24, 25. It has come true in my life more than once. So the next night when I was in town I bought a few groceries and diapers to take to them. Friday morning I loaded the groceries and drove to their house. The front door inside the screened in porch was open but no one stirred at my knocking. So I took it all back home and went again in the afternoon -same thing. I went again at 6 o'clock in the evening and finally there was a different car in the driveway. The front door was now closed. When I knocked an older lady answered the door. I told her who I was and what I'd come for. With a puzzled expression she told me that Jennifer didn't love there. It was her granddaughter and she was just visiting. A little disappointed I asked if she would be seeing her soon. She said she be going there the next day and could take the groceries. As I was walking away to get the rest of the things from my car Joan called after me, "Thank you so much, and may the blessing you are giving return to you!" I smiled and said, "It has." I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive. Acts 20:35
As I loaded the last few bags onto my arms I felt impressed to take a set of the books in with me. When I returned to the house Joan took the perishables into the kitchen. I carried one bag into the kitchen for her. As I entered she was pulling $20 from her purse. Handing it to me she said, "Here I want to help." "Oh my, well here, pick out one of the books." "Oh no, I'm a believer I just want to help you with what you're doing." I hadn't really even told her about the books. So I said, "Your granddaughter was interested in the books. Why don't you pick on out for her?" I canvassed her on all the books, brushing by the cookbook. :) When I got to the Great Controversy explaining that it cover Bible prophecy and current events she said solemnly, "Oh I wonder about all that is going on." As she debated between the books she decided on the Peace for Jennifer. However I seen her interest in the GC. So I explained my goal of 129 books and how people were pledging to help for every book I sold. "So I you would like you can get both the Peace for Jennifer and the Great Controversy for you." "Oh I'd love to read it, yes!" I was thrilled! I asked if I cold pray. She took my hands in hers and we bowed together. When I finished she prayed for me. I love it when people join me in prayer. It blesses me! I wrote down my phone and told her lived right outside Douglas. I told her about the Bible school and what I would be learning. "So when I get back if you hear of anyone or know of anyone who would be interested in doing Bible studies let me know." She thanked me again for coming and told me how wonderful it was to meet me. I left in awe and with a light heart.
About an hour later I saw her van pull up at our house. What could be wrong? I met her at the back door. "I got curious what was in those bags and I found this," she said handing me our mail. :) I'd picked it up on my second trip back home from trying to deliver the food and had stuck it in one of the bags so I could carry everything at once. "Oh my, I told myself I'd forget that! Thank you so much!!" She just laughed and smiling said, "Well you'd told me where you lived so I figured I bring it over. You'd have missed it eventually." I thanked her and she drove away. Such a sweet lady! I hope I get to visit with her again someday. That was definitely a Divine appointment!
Tonight, Tuesday, July 12
Lest you think I am some great hero of courage and faith let me set the record straight. I spent the better part of my first hour out tonight sitting in my car letting the tears that have been threatening the past two days flow. God sent a friend to call me at just the right moment and we had a good talk. My courage was strengthened and His love, understanding, and patience were painted anew before my eyes. The last few days have been a struggle. Many nights I have to force myself to go out and canvass. Don't get me wrong I am always rewarded when I return and I do enjoy it. But there are rarely feelings of excitement and anticipation as I venture out. In the last week deadlines have loomed, problems and perplexities have multiplied, and duties have pressed. I have felt very faithless and void of strength to continue. It is hard for me to say I felt let down because I know God's promises too well. But as I told my friend, my tear ducts didn't believe them. Yet as is so often the case God speaks up through these times. Though it sounds as if His voice comes from across a great chasm instead of close by my side, it is clear. It has been coming over and over, whether through someone's blog post, facebook comment, words at church, a sermon from AudioVerse, my Bible reading for that day, or a letter from a friend. He has been speaking very straight to my need, reminding me that He has it under control, and He will come through. I'd sure love it if He didn't wait till the very last minute, but that seems to be His habit, and that way I can't take any credit.
So with that background I went out this evening after drying my eyes. I had 81 books left to go to my goal and about 10 working days remaining before packing for AFCOE. If I could just sell 8 books a day I could make it. Guess how many books I sold tonight? 8 books...
Eddie got a cookbook but gave me $20. He said he always helped the Girl Scouts out too even though he just gave the cookies away as gifts. So I told him about my goal and asked if he would pick another book out to give as a gift to someone. He hadn't wanted to message books...said he didn't get into that much. "Oh I believe in God and all, but I don't believe you have to go to church and I don't read religious stuff." But he did take a Peace and I'd already given him a Happy D. | I recognized Judy as a lady I see working at our Wal-Mart all the time. When she looked at the books she said, "I think I've already ordered some books from here. Yes, Pacific Press. I have some books coming from them already. I would help you out with a donation, but I don't have any money. Maybe I can give you $10 when I see you at Wal-Mart." She said she doesn't go to any church, but she also doesn't work on Friday nights or Saturdays. She must have some connection to Adventists. She loaned me a DVD about the discovery of historical Biblical sites. We prayed together before I left. | Sue opened the door and invited me in. A neighbor girl, Jordan, in her teens was visiting and had answered the door first. I showed them the books, handing the GA to the girl. Sue said Jordan had had questions like those. "Would you read it?" she asked her. Sue finally had all the books in her hand and were talking about how she'd lost her mother 6 months before, her friend's house had just burnt down on the 4th of July losing everything, and another friend had just had twins 4 months preemie and one didn't make it. Turning back to the books she said, "I don't think I'll get the cookbook, but I want the rest." Great Controversy, Peace, and God's Answers. "I will read that one," Jordan said pointing to the GA. Sue mentioned that there used to be a Bible study there in town and she missed it. "Do you think people would come if we did one again? I've wanted to have a Bible study," I said. A possibility when I return from AFCOE. We bowed in prayer before I left. I prayed for Sue, her friends, and Jordan and thanked God for their helping me. When I finished Sue had tears in her eyes. I hugged her and she thanked me. | I was about to turn up the last street I had to do in town when I felt compelled to continue out of town and do the few houses I knew were just outside of town. As I pulled into the first drive way two cars pulled in behind me. Nervous that I might have startled someone and made them up set I smiled and waved the canvasser wave. I picked up my books and stepped out of the car. "Did I beat you home?" I joked. "Yeah, we were just going past to our son's house when we saw you pull in. What are ya doing?" they said casually putting me at ease. The husband got out to unload something from the other car that had pulled in. The wife looked through the books as the elderly lady in the back seat asked if I lived around there. "Did you come by selling bread a few years ago?" "Yes I did," I replied. "I remember you. I thought you were going to come back. But I must not have been home or something." We talked about where I lived and about the dear they'd had carved from their tree just after we moved here. They decided on a cookbook for each of them. I thanked them and gave them a Happy D as well. | I got to see where Linda, the lady who runs the small gas station in Palmyra, lives. Her daughter, Bonnie, got the GA from me a couple weeks ago. Linda picked out the Peace. We prayed for her Uncle, Ralph, who is dying with cancer.
I have four comebacks waiting at the moment. I have to order more books first. I'm out of what they want. So far my comebacks have proved successful. This list could fill up half a night at least. There are a couple more houses I want to try in Douglas too. But other than that I've completed my first entire town.
I can't thank you enough for your prayers! And thank you to all those who have pledged towards the book goal.
I will be booking a plane ticket soon. Southwest will save me on my baggage. And since we were planning a trip to CO to see my brothers I can fly out of Denver which is $100 less then Omaha right now. Praise the Lord!
Praise God for the things He is doing for you!! I'm excited to hear the stories you have! I totally sympathize with you about lacking excitement when I go out canvassing, but the blessing I receive while doing it keeps me going. I'll keep praying for you and the books you've gotten out so far.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
Thank you, Brittney! Where have you canvassed?? I didn't know you did. :) How neat! I love meeting fellow workers!
ReplyDelete