WARNING: This is very long. Well nigh a book. :) But I couldn't decide what to leave out. I'm writing partly for your enjoyment and encouragement, but also for my own benefit. I'm setting up way marks to look back on through the days ahead. So read as much or little as you want. :)
I feel like I've gotten behind in my updates already. I won't be able to remember every story, but I’ll try to relive the last few days and hit the highlights. Besides, I don't want to keep you here forever. :)
Day 2, Thursday, June 23 ~ I went out for 2 hours in my little home town of Douglas. It was so refreshing. A true small mid-west town! Interestingly, so far the first house seems to always be a good experience to put my nerves at ease, even if there's no sale. Bill was my first house in Douglas. He wasn't interested in the books, but listened very graciously. He let me pray with him. | As I turned up the next street I could see a gentleman out in his drive way. I sent up a prayer that he would (Editors note: *ahem* this was supposed to say wouldn't) send me away before I could show him what I was doing. I called out a greeting and his dog came out to investigate me. As he took a rest from his boxing practice Dan listened and looked at my books. But then said, "Well you're barking up the wrong tree tonight. My wife keeps all the money and she's gone." So I dropped down to the Happy D. He was a very laid back guy. "Well let me see if she left me anything. If she didn't you're out-a-luck." He went in and came out with a cup of change. "Do you take quarters?" "Sure do. Every little bit counts. But instead of a little bit he proceeded to keep counting quarters out into y hand till he reached $5. I gave him the Happy D and asked if I could pray with him before I left as he put his boxing gloves back on. "Do you have any special prayer requests, sir?" "Nah. How 'bout a fighter’s prayer?" I smiled. "Hmm. I've never prayed a fighter’s prayer, but we'll see what we can do." Suppressing a chuckle I closed my eyes. How do you pray a fighter’s prayer? God's ways don't encourage fighting? I opened my mouth and thoughts started flooding in. "Father, thank you for fighting for us. Thank you for never giving up. Thank you for coming to save us. Give us strength to press on a fight the good fight of faith. To run the race in which all can win the eternal prize that you have for us." I was surprised myself. So that's a fighter’s prayer? Yes, God you do fight! And harder than anyone ever has. Please bring these thoughts back to Dan. | There was one house I was nervous about going to. I knew it would be on the street I was planning to do. I sits back of the road with a longer drive way. A little run down. Old cars. The kind that looks like it should have a dog. As I started down the street I was on the opposite side. But someone was mowing at my next house. I could see a gentleman starting his motorcycle. I should get him before he leaves. As I approached. He turned the bike off. I waved the canvassing wave, smiled real big and commented about the wonderful weather this evening. He smiled and agreed. He walked towards me with interest. I canvassed him a few books including the Peace. I shared very openly about my experience with the book and how it had brought me through a though time just recently. He listened. I finished and closed. He pulled out his wallet. "I want to give you a donation, but honestly I just won't read the books." "Gift ideas for anyone?" I asked. He thought, but said no. He handed my $20. I made him take the Happy D and give it to someone else if he wanted. He said he'd give it to his daughter. I asked to pray. He accepted. There is nothing I enjoy more than praying with people! It's my favorite thing. Connecting together with the King of the universe. And using the opportunity to lead people in a conversation with their Creator. Something not everyone realizes they can do. Doug thanked me for coming and wished me well. | I drove to a new street across town. At the first house an older lady answered. Very quickly she stopped me and said she just could not afford anything. I was a breath away from thanking her for her time and leaving. I don't know why but I often get caught off guard and forget to give another chance and drop down. But this time the Lord pushed the words out of my mouth. I showed the Happy D and said people just give a dollar or two. "I can do that" She came back and gave my $2. Again I was a breath away from leaving. But the words came out, "Can I pray with you?" I hesitate when people seemed hurried and glum and short. But I'm learning to not judge the outside. She accepted. "Do you have prayer requests on your heart?" She stopped as if something hit her. Tearing up she choked out, "My grandson." I asked his name, but by now she was sobbing and couldn't speak. I put my hand on her shoulder and prayed my heart out. "I believe you led me to this door, Lord. Please be near this lady and her grandson. You know what he needs." I finished. "Thank you! He's 21 and we just found out he has cancer." "I want to pray for him. What is his name?" "Yes please do! It's Jared." "I encourage you to read this book. I know it will bless and strengthen you!" "Oh I will! Thank you so much for coming by!" | When Jessica answered the door I could tell if she was the child or adult. So I just canvassed her. She must have 15 or 16. I showed her the Peace and GA. She didn't give a readable response. I asked if she liked to read. Yes. Favorites? Fiction. Well the GC isn't fiction but it can be as fascinating. I closed and asked which one she liked. She gave me $10 for the Peace. I asked if she liked the GC too figuring if she had to pick I could give her both for all the extra donations I've received. But she just wanted the Peace. A very good choice for a young fiction reader. I prayed with her and left. | Bonnie, the daughter of the lady we get gas from, chose the GA over both cookbooks which she'd originally looked at. | I met Joe, the fire chief who we get our burn permits from. He got a Happy D and let me pray. His prayer request: funds to accomplish the needed updates at the fire station.
Totals: 2 books, 6 Happy D
Day 3, Friday, June 24 ~ This was the day I said I would do some businesses. I got a late start and so over half of them were closed. But Nicole at a clothing alterations shop. Time and again I am rebuked for my judgment, "Oh this person doesn't look like they'll be interested." She got the cookbook and Peace and let me pray. | I went to the subdivision where my GED teacher lives. We kept in touch through the years and they love us to pieces. I saved their house for last so I could visit. Sadly they weren't home. But a man that looked to be from India possibly got a GA and let me pray. | I also met an Agnostic family. I had shared my canvass and how much the books meant to me spiritually. He asked where I was going to school. I replied with my desire to attend Bible college since the field I'm pursuing is only in secular colleges. "Well I don't mean to offend you or anything, but we are actually Agnostic." "Oh ok. May I ask if you've always been Agnostic?" "No, I was raised Methodist and my wife was Catholic. But it just didn't work for us." I could find words to speak. I wanted to reach them. To get a life changing book in their door. I had just prayed to get a GC out. I was desperate for their two sweet girls standing there growing up without knowing my Jesus! But there were no words. I don't understand. I have felt God speak through me before! But this time there was a void. So I prayed for them as I walked away...feeling helpless, I trusted them to the one who can find a way into their home in ways I may not be able to.
Totals: 4 books, 5 Happy D
Day 4, Sunday June 26 ~ I was battling discouragement. I knew it was a paper giant, a vaporous lion, but it loomed over me in a frightening way. But I drove to territory. On the way I called my former canvassing leader, Beth, and had a good talk. I worked in the village of Bennett where my grandparents live. It was over cast and thunder threatened. I hadn't brought a bag to cover my book or an umbrella. So I prayed and God held the rain back. | I prayed with several people. Visited with a couple elderly ladies who thanked me so much for coming by. :) They are so fun! I sold my last cookbook. Kind fun because then people have to buy message books. | I was just finishing a comb (a side street off my main street) when I saw a lady walking two dogs turning on to my main street. I almost passed her by because it's awkward to stop someone on the street. But I was reminded to go by faith and be bold. "Can I show you something?" "Sure," she replied. She saw very hard to read. Very quiet and didn't talk much. "Which ones would you be interested in?" She pointed to the Peace, but didn't make a move to pull out any money. Would you like me to stop by your house on my way back down the street?" "Yes." *later* I knocked. She opened the door for me to come in. I sat down on the couch and showed her the books again. I shared how the Peace had brought encouragement to me through the rough time of moving my grandma into an Alzheimer unit recently. She picked out Peace and GA. I offered to pray and ask if she had any prayer requests. "Yes. My dad has Alzheimers." :) God knew. | Another lady in a nice house got a GA and asked prayer for her daughter who is struggling with Crohn's disease. | At the end of my street I crossed over and at the first house was pleasantly surprised to meet the sweet lady who cleans house for my grandparents. My dear grandma was instrumental in leading her to the Lord and did Bible studies. She has a wonderful testimony and has proven the Lord's faithfulness. I knew she had her own financial limits, but we sat down on the porch and she asked me what I was doing. I showed her the books and told her of my project. She asked if I could hold a check. She picked out Peace but gave a little extra so I gave her the GA too since she had been interested in. We prayed for her little preemie grand daughter who was going home the next day in answer to the prayers we'd been praying since she was born at less than a pound.
Totals: 6 books, 4 Happy D
Day 5, Tuesday, June 28 ~ I went out to Douglas again. I had spent the whole day reading Mr. Prewitt's training book for canvassing leaders. I learned several things. God was blessing, but I still felt like I could be doing better. The book reminded me of a few things I had let slip and needed to correct. I still hadn't sold any GC and that was bothering me. I was showing often. After a prayer with my virtual leader, Beth, I headed out. | Last Thursday when I was in Douglas I had gone to a house where only the husband was home. He usually works nights but had worked day shift that day and so was home. (Divine appointment!) His wife was out later than usual so he asked if I could come back so she could see the books. Their expecting their first little one in 3 months. He thought she'd be interested. In programs we don't usually do come-backs. They don't often pan out. But I figured since it was just 2 minutes from my house I could give them another chance. Sure enough Kassie was home. She looked a bit puzzled when she answered. I told her who I was and she remembered. She stepped outside and I showed her all my books (just 4 since I was still out of 7 Secrets). I closed her on the set, she walked inside and got her check book to buy the whole set! We sat on the porch and started talking as she wrote out the check...for $60! We ended up visiting for at least 35 minutes. Very profitable. We talked about how I'd been home schooled. About my desire to go to Bible college. I wrote down Amazing Facts and AFCOEs websites for her. She asked if I would ever be interested in volunteering for hospice. That's what she does. She is the coordinator. The volunteering just is being a companion to terminally ill patients and/or their family. What she likes about it is that you are able to share Christ in that position. You often sing hymns, read the Bible, and pray with your patients as they spend their last few days on earth with you. I was very intrigued and took her business card. I'm praying about doing it when I get back from AFCOE. WE prayed together before I left. | I prayed about where to go next. On 3rd street not many people were home and those that were weren't interested. But at one house I saw a man up on the roof making repairs. There was a gate around the house and I had seen dogs. I called out a greeting and told him who I was and what I was doing. "May I come in?" He invited me in. Obviously I could get the books in his hands, but I plugged on and canvassed him on each book holding it up for him to see. His sweet little girl stood and listened. After some negotiation and a bit of persuasion (he was hesitant because he's been short on work) he got the Kids cookbook and Peace. His brother is Adventist and lives in the Portland, OR area. AS he got the money out I talked to his little girl and Oooed over the baby praying mantis and lightening bugs she had in her bug catcher. I prayed with them as well before I left. | The streets were quiet. back on the edge of town I came to a house next to an old barn. I saw someone get up as I approached. And elderly gentleman answered the door. I canvassed him. He asked, "Are you honest?" I smiled and said yes, but of course that was only my word. He grinned and looked at the books. He asked me questions. We talked for quite a while. I kept praying for guidance. I didn't want to waste time in just chatting. Was he interested in the books? We weren't talking about the books anymore. But as he shared his burden for young people and told stories of young men he had helped overcome troubles I felt impressed to show him the GA as a resource for his ministry. He took that as well and looked through it and then we continued to talk. "I like to communicate with people," he said, "get to know what their all about. That's why I wanted to talk to you. To see if you were for real." "I hope I've represented Him well," I said. He smiled, "Yes, you have. Very well." After a few more minutes I was able to bring things to a close, "I wish I could stay, but I need to head out. It's getting late." He turned his attention back to the books and asked how it worked. "It's on donation basis. I closed him on the set of 3 in his hand. "Ok let me go get you some money." He fished around in the kitchen around the corner for a while and then returned. He wore an ever so slight grin as he handed me the cash. A one hundred dollar bill. I was shocked. "Umm. Do you need change, sir?" Smiling, "No, I trust you and I want to help you." "Do you want doubles of anything to share with others?" " No, this is good." I gave him a Happy D and told him it was the small version of Peace so he could share it with someone else. "Can I pray with you before I leave? What's your name, sir." Milton and I bowed our heads and I asked a special blessing on him and his family and his ministry to those he touches. I thanked God for his generosity and asked that the books be a blessing to him in return. | It was time to go home pretty much by then, but I decided to finish the houses on my way back to my car. At the last house I met the cutest little lady. It was another long visit. But it's been an investment in my community which we have neglected to be much a part of through the years. Dorothy’s husband drove the bus. The elderly man whose old homestead we live on now and who owns the fields around us rode her husband’s bus and was classmates with her son. I don't know how old she is but she knew everyone around. She used direct the choir at the little Methodist church across the street from her house. We had a fun visit and I learned a lot about my town. I asked if they were doing a fireworks show this year. We've never been. Yes, this year it's also a memorial for a lady in the community who just died last year. Her birthday was the 4th of July so this is how her family is remembering her this year. I think we just may go if it's indeed open to the community. Who knows what the Lord has in store for us here. I would love to have meeting in our town center when I get back! But one step at a time. I want them to get to know and trust me first. And they are. Dorothy and I prayed together for her friend who just lost her son last week. She took my hand as we bowed our heads. Her small frail hand in my young ones. There's nothing better. I am so happy. Oh! And she got a GA because she has another friend who has questions about the Bible and she thought it might be good for her. PTL! All His promises are true. Hi is multiplying my efforts. I was only out for less than 3 hours and got 9 books and 3 Happy D out. Sometimes that's all I've gotten out in an 8 hour day. It's your prayers! Thank you!
I shall not keep you longer. I hope I haven't scared you away. :) I'll try to keep up with the reports better so they're not so long.
Until next time...may He hold you in His loving care and make you strong by His might.
Blessed by reading your experiences. Last week was my first week canvassing. It was a great experience. It is amazing how much you learn about your character as you do literature evangelism.
ReplyDeleteAlyssa, I'm glad you were blessed. I'm so happy you're canvassing too! You are right, it does teach you a lot. I have found nothing that makes the Christian walk so practical and almost tangible as canvassing. Who are you canvassing with?
ReplyDeleteBeautiful!
ReplyDeleteOh, Jenae, this is so exciting!! It is so very awesome to read about God at work.
ReplyDeleteAnd no, you didn't scare me away. ;) In fact, I almost wished it was longer!
Amen! You don't know how much I am excited for you! You It's so amazing how God works everything out :)
ReplyDeleteGod Bless You!
@ Esther: You know! :)
ReplyDelete@ Araya: Oh good! I'm glad I didn't scare you. ;) And stay tuned I'm sure those aren't going to be the last stories to tell!
@ Katherina: Amen and amen! :) God bless you too. Someday I hope to take you out with me. What do ya say? :)