Friday, December 23, 2011

Prayers and Peanut Brittle


Experience from Sunday, December 18th.
___________________________________

I've been home for a week now. Still getting adjusted. Of course I hit the ground running with a list of things to do before leaving again for GYC. But my days were still peppered with thoughts of AFCOE and all the memories and all the people I missed. Sunday I was having a particularly hard day. God knew what I needed so He sent me on a mission.

Our church is holding Dr. Nedley's Depression Recovery 8 week program starting in January. I had the thought that I could take invitations to a few of the people who bought books from my this summer in Douglas. It would give me an excuse to make contact again. So I headed out just before supper with a four invitations and bags of homemade peanut butter cookies. I was still a little down, but Bible working must be in my blood now and something pushed me forward.

The first house was Kasandra and her husband. She was pregnant when I saw her in June. Their little boy arrived in September and he is a cutie. They both remembered me and invited me in. I chatted for a while, congratulated them on their little one, gave them the cookies and told them about the seminar.

Next was the lady who told me she'd lost her mother 6 months ago and her friend lost her house to a fire. In the course of our conversation we'd mentioned how she used to go to a Bible study group and how much she missed it. She got all three message books from me. I had written her name down, but have misplaced that list. She wasn't home, but her husband answered and remembered her telling him about me. I gave him the cookies and the invitation and told him about the seminar. He thanked me very much and made sure to get my name.

The third house was a lady whose granddaughter I'd given some groceries when they were going through a hard time. Joan had prayed for me when I was there and given me a donation for which I let her pick out a book. This time when I went to the door her whole family was there for Christmas. I was invited right into the party. She thanked me for stopping by and gave me a hug again. Before I left she got me some of her homemade peanut brittle and underneath was a gift of $20. Joan smiled and thanked me again as I left. How many blessings can God pour out?



The last house was a lady that I had thought of first when considering taking invitations out. When I met her this summer she could hardly speak through her tears as she told me of her young grandson who had just been diagnosed with cancer. I prayed with her and prayed for them at home as well. When I pulled up to her house Sunday evening it was all dark. I hesitated, but then decided to try anyway since it was only 6pm and I thought I saw a TV light on in the back room. Sure enough Joyce answered the door. She remembered me too and said, "Your prayers worked! They did have to remove one of my grandson's eyes, but he went through chemo and the cancer is gone. Thank you so much!" I was elated at this news. We visited for a bit and prayed again before I left. She gave me a hug and thanked me for coming by.
I floated back to my car while looking up at a sky full of stars. The homesickness had subsided considerably. I felt back at home on the streets. That's what I'd been missing. Somehow knocking on doors made me feel not so far away from all those who I'd lived and worked with this semester. It was the best Christmas gift God could have given me. I was a different person when I walked back in the front door and sat down to supper.

When you think of these people keep praying for them. The seeds have been planted and I will continue to water them as God gives me opportunity. And pray for all those back in Roseville too. Thank you!

So it's not the end. It is a new beginning. Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

  1. As always, I enjoyed your post, Jenae. There is nothing as soothing to the mind as doing something for others; I'm so glad that God blessed your evening out re-connecting with those that God must surely have something in store for. A merry Christmas to you and your family and I look forward to seeing you at GYC~ blessings! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. At GYC?? Yay!
    I'm glad you enjoyed the post. :)

    ReplyDelete