I did my first Bible study with three ladies last night. Two of them bought books from me last summer and that's how I made the contact. Susannah is the host of the Bible study. She invited her mother and another young mom, Kassandra, who is the other lady who got books from me. Susannah has a little 1.5 year old boy, Owen, and a 3 week old baby boy, Oliver. Kassandra has a 5 month old baby boy, Bennett. I'm hoping I can find ways to make the moms feel comfortable with their little ones there. I love the children there and I don't want the mommies to feel bad if they act up or need attention sometimes during the study. They enjoyed last night very much and we're on for next Wednesday at 7pm again.
I am using Gary Gibbs Prophecies of Hope Bible studies. I've never used these before and I hadn't even seen them. But that's what was given me to use, so I'm learning them. The format is to study the topic with them and then leave the lesson with them at the end to do on their own as review. So yesterday afternoon I worked on writing my notes for the study, Daniel 2. I pretty much wrote out word for word what I wanted to say. I've never done that before either. But it came out to 3,277 words. I used some notes from Gary Gibbs Winsome Witnessing companion CD. I think I'll streamline it a little next time. It still would have fit in the hour, but between the visiting in the beginning and pauses for the little ones it was getting long.
Susannah had told me she was going to try and invite some friends, but when I called her Sunday to set the time she didn't have anyone coming for sure. I was half hoping I could go it with just her. But at the same time it would be nice to have the group.
I was already a bit nervous while preparing simply because it would be my first study after AFCOE, I wouldn't have my outreach partner with me to jump in if I got lost (although my mom came to be my prayer partner and that was a blessing), I wasn't used to these lessons, and just the anticipation of the topics to come. I don't have an evangelistic series to take them to where an evangelist can cover the testing truths. But I do have truth and God's Word and God Himself to help me, so I'm taking courage in that. Anyway, we pulled up and I saw that there were two cars parked on the street. All of a sudden I got real nervous. I paused before getting out, thankful for the darkness to hide me, and text four friends to pray for me. My "Aunt" Dede text back immediately "Praying right now!!!" I can't thank God enough for friends (and even texting in this case ;)).
We visited for a few minutes while we ate the snacks Susannah had prepared - homemade Cheesecake with berry topping, cheesy crackers, pretzels, and coffee. I chose a sliver of cheesecake and pretzels and water. :) As we discussed where to have the study (finally settling on the comfort of the living room) Susannah's mom said, "I don't care. I just want to be where I can listen." By the end of the study she was eagerly reading the passages and commenting on how interesting it was. It was a blessing she was able to be there since normally she is in Iowa taking care of her parents until Thursday each week. But Susannah promised to share with her what we study in the rest of the lessons - a good way to help Susannah understand and remember what we cover.
Susannah still wants to invite another friend. I have yet to make contact with the other two ladies who I think might be interested in studies. Keep it all in prayer.
Thank you to all who have encouraged me as I prepared for this study!! :) And to those who have mentored me (my dear sister, Ashley). And who have reminded me where my help comes from (Sammy). Thank you for the prayers!
Oh Jenae! I'm so excited for you! I'm about ready to jump up and down...maybe I will! ;) I will definitely be praying for Susannah and Kassandra and any others who may join. Oh I just wish I could be there to give you a squeeze and come with you but know that I'm with you in prayer. Give me a call sometime...I miss you...Lots of Love...
ReplyDelete