Update...I have two Bible studies going. Together they add up to 6 people. The first is with two mom's, Susanna and Cassie. Susanna has two little boys, Owen (18mths old) and Oliver (1moth old). Cassie has a little boy Bennet (6mths old). It's a challenge to say the least. I switched the lessons I was using because the first set was taking too long to get through between caring for the precious little ones. So now we are using the series by Karen Lewis, Lifting Up Jesus. I really like these studies. Last night however it felt like Susi and Cassie weren't able to concentrate at all with the little ones. They boys are really quite good for their age. But they have needs that can't wait. It was a bit discouraging as I don't see it getting any easier in the future and this seems to be the only time they can study. But they appear to enjoy the studies and are learning. My other challenge with this one is that Susi uses the NIV and Cassie uses NLT. Both of which have discrepancies in translating chapters on prophecy. This last week Cassie couldn't find her Bible. So she brought her grandma's Bible. It's a Catholic Bible. :) I tried to suggest maybe it would be easier for all of us to use the NKJV since that's what the studies use. They said, "Oh it's fine. I'm following along no problem." *sigh* We study at 7pm CT on Wednesday evenings.
The other study is with Sue, Ron, Mark, and Jordan (a 13y/o neighbor girl of Sue's). I haven't figured out how the other three are related or if they are. Sue bought three books from me when I canvassed last summer. Read that story here under the July 12 section. Ron and Sue live together, but I don't know if they're married or not. They are rural folk through and through. Sue lost her mom last year who she studied the Bible with fairly regularly. They live rather poorly, but I am anxious to see what God will do in their lives. They are incredibly sincere! Jordan has heard next to nothing about religion. She lives with her grandma I gather, who has no interest in it. Jordan wanted to go to church when she was little, but grandma wouldn't take her. So Sue said she's kind of given up. But I think these Bible studies have the potential to bring back the spark and actually answer the questions no one else has taken the time to answer for her. She is bright, but very clueless about the Bible. So it has been a good challenge for me to bring everything down into very simple language and have to give background to every story I tell and every point I make. One thing though, she can read KJV!! A+ for her. :)
I am humbled by them. I am realizing each week how tremendously privileged I am. It is an awesome thing to present the gospel to people for the first time. Next week I will invite them to ask God into their lives. Pray for them. Sue is struggling. She said she's lost in all the "thee" and "thou" of the KJV. I told her to get a NKJV and it would be a little easier, but promised her that it would get easier the more we studied. She asked why God had so many people killed in the OT. That is a hard question to answer. I did my best. I told her that God never destroys anyone with out giving them chance after chance to accept Him and be freed from the evil that is destroying them. And that is just it, often it is our own actions that bring on destruction. I also explained to her a hazelnut shell version of the great controversy and told her that the devil likes to put his character on God and make us think that God is out to destroy us. But really everything God does is in an effort to save us from the devil. She seemed satisfied for now, but the question still hangs. I don't profess to understand the commands to kill whole nations in the OT either. But I know too much about God love to doubt that He had a plan and it was all mixed with as much mercy as it could be.
Last week Ron pulled down a dusty picture frame off the living room wall with pictures of Jordan as a little girl in it and a drawing she did when she was I think 4y/o. I was stunned. God has a foothold in this little girl. With hardly any knowledge of the Bible and only the answers to the questions she'd asked Ron and Sue (who don't really know much more at this point, only the traditional Christian's knowledge) she had drawn a picture of Jesus and God on a cloud. God is saying to Jesus, "I'm glad you're back." Jesus is saying, "I'm going to get the people." I want this little girl to be there with a smile on her face when He comes to get her! This week she had gotten in trouble at school and was grounded in definitely. I need extra angels to keep that girl out of trouble or at least not grounded! She needs to be in these studies.
Thank you for your prayers. I need them. I feel so inadequate. And I procrastinate so much. Last night I was about in tears. But God is merciful. And He figures out ways to send some of you with encouragement and reminders of His control over all and His love...at just the right time. When these people accept Jesus, you will have been a big part of it. I may be on the front line, but I couldn't stay there long if you weren't backing me with prayer. Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment